Thursday, October 28, 2010

Desperation leads to creativity

I don't know about you, but this time of year is always a little overwhelming for me -- but in a good way! Like a lot of knitters, I'm gearing up for the holiday season, as well as trying to get some projects for myself finished up before the truly cold weather hits. Sounds good so far, right?

Well...As some of you might know, I love tiny, tiny needles, and big, huge projects. This is usually not a problem, because I try to have just one big project going at any given time, and I can always knit on some smaller things in the meantime.
That's how I normally do it.

However...I just learned to crochet. And it's been taking over my life!! I'm deep into two different afghans, the Wool-Eater (in Cascade 220 and Malabrigo Twist)
and the Greenway (in Manos del Uruguay Wool Clasica and Rittenhouse), and the end is nowhere in sight.

Not to mention the seemingly infinite stockinette stitch of my Featherweight cardigan in Malabrigo Lace.


And so, after kind of a long day at school (I'm in the middle of the semester, too!), I was seriously craving some instant gratification. So I grabbed a skein of Berroco Campus, headed home to whip up a hat, and was horrified to discover that I don't have any 16" or DP needles in US 10, 10.5 or 11!

I was desperate to feel the satisfaction of finishing a project, and so I got out my set of interchangeable needles. It comes with two US 10.5 tips, each of which I attached to its own cable. To the other end of the cable, I attached a size US 7 needle tip. Then, I was able to knit my hat using the 2 circular needle method (always knitting with the 10.5 in my right hand, and the 7 in my left).

It feels so good to finally have a finished object, I might wear my new hat all day!

No comments: