Saturday, February 13, 2010

Organic Baby Blocks

When we received our shipment of the new O~Wool Balance yarn several weeks ago, I knew I needed to start a project. But what? I loved all of the colors, and wanted to use a number of them, but I didn't want it to be just stripes. I needed a portable project, since my weekends are busy and on-the-go, and I don't want to lug around a large project. And, I wanted to make something that would be a great baby gift, since the yarn is so soft and organic, and perfect for little ones!
In the end, I chose to knit 5" squares (portable) with intarsia (not plain old stripes!) and to assemble them into fun baby blocks (great baby gift!)
The squares were really fun to knit and assemble. I went to a local craft store and purchased some 5" foam, which I then cut into 5" blocks.
The seaming was easy, and believe it or not, I was actually very strategic about my color usage (though you don't have to be!)
I wish I had these 10 years ago when Helen and Sophie were new arrivals! The ones I had were smaller, and wood. These are much bigger, but are so lightweight - they each weigh under 4 ounces.The pattern should be written up by sometime next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are SO. CUTE.