Monday, November 23, 2009

You can never pack too much knitting

I always stress more about the knitting projects I pack for a trip, than about the clothes, books, shoes, etc. I just took a quick trip and once again, was consumed by which projects I would take. I almost left one of them at home, but in the end I figured it didn't take up THAT much room, so I threw it in my bag.

Phew! I finished project #1 on Friday. Started project #2 on Saturday morning, and was making great progress on it until I got to the 1st lace row. It's over 240 stitches on a size 1 needle, and perhaps starting that row, while watching a special on JFK and chatting with my parents wasn't exactly a good choice. I worked the row once, got to the end and was off by 8 stitches. I realized I had started right in on the lace pattern, when I should have worked the first and last 4 stitches of the row in garter stitch. Stupid mistake, but 4+4=8, so easy to fix on my second try. Right?

Wrong. I un-knit each and every stitch on those tiny size 1 needles. It took forever. And I started the row, a second time, with those 4 stitches of garter stitch. I got to the end and was off again.

At this point, I was getting frustrated. I looked at every stitch I had worked and couldn't see what I had done wrong. I was irritated - this was my plane knitting for today! But, rather than get any more upset about it, I un-knit it for a second time, put it in my checked bag, and pulled out project #3, which I had thankfully packed.

Another project, another Fibre Company yarn (this time Road to China Light), another great free pattern, and I'm a happy camper knitter.

No comments: