Monday, November 09, 2009

A mistake... turned around!

We got several new colors of Malabrigo Chunky last week, and the Citrus really caught my eye! So when I left on Friday afternoon, I grabbed two skeins of it to whip up another Super Bulky Button Hat in this fun new colorway. (After all, there are several ceramic buttons that work perfectly with this color!)

This pattern is so simple. So how could I make a mistake? I'm blaming it on casting on late on Friday night, when I was really tired and should have been in bed, sleeping. Obviously I didn't count correctly... because the 54 stitches I was supposed to have, was really only 50. I realized my error when I got to the first decrease round. I couldn't figure out why the decreases weren't working, and so I counted my stitches about 5 times and realized I was off by 4.

At this point, I had two choices. I could frog the entire project and start over... or I could make it work. I decided to rip back about an inch and start my decreases there. This made it the perfect size for a child (probably ages 4-8.)

I had plenty of yarn leftover, and thought it would be nice to make a matching scarf. So on Saturday I scooted into the shop and picked up a skein of Regia Softy. Softy is a great sock yarn, and makes a wonderful pair of fuzzy socks, that are warm, soft and machine washable. It's also perfect for baby blankets, hats, sweaters and booties. The colors are bright and fun and I felt sure I could find one that would make a simple garter stitch scarf pop. Here it is! A cute hat and scarf set. Two skeins of Malabrigo Chunky and one skein of Regia Softy, in a totally simple, randomly striped, garter stitch scarf. My girls both gave it a thumbs up.

Free pattern for the hat is here, and for the scarf is here.

No comments: