Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turn a Square for Jogless Stripes!

I'm always looking for another excuse to knit a hat. This one gave me a chance to learn a quick and easy new technique that I am now in love with - jogless stripes.

When you knit in the round in stripes, it leaves a jog along the beginning of the round where you change colors. There is a technique to eliminating this column of pesky (to those of us who like symmetry) little unmatched rows.

I used a free pattern from Jared Flood called the Turn a Square Hat. The pattern includes a very easy method for eliminating the jog in the stripes for this hat. Check it out!
The hat turned out great. I used contrasting colors of Noro Silk Garden and matches our striped Noro scarf (another idea from brooklyntweed). I admit, I decreased the number of cast on stitches so that when I blocked my hat it wouldn't get too large for me. The Noro Silk Garden grows a fair amount if you wet block it and I can wear most kids hats...so this one fits me.

I made a second one with Noro Silk Garden and a contrasting solid color of Berroco Blackstone Tweed that follows the pattern exactly - that one will go to a friend with more hair and a larger dome!

No comments: