Friday, October 14, 2011

The Joys of Public Transportation

When I lived in the states I had a car and didn't need to use public transportation. But here in Europe I'm mostly without a car, and so I'm taking advantage of a pretty clean, and wonderfully reliable public transportation network. I have to say, it's been pretty great so far (although I wish there were a bus stop closer to my apartment, since Finland is pretty wet at this time of the year!) It's so much more relaxing to sit back and let someone else do the driving.

This week we're in London for a few days doing a little sightseeing with the kids, and we've been taking lots of public transportation to get around. Due to the extremely high price of hotels here, we're staying a bit outside the city at Stansted, and using a discounted "family pass" to take a train in and out of the city each morning and evening. A 45 minute train ride into London may seem like an inconvenience to some. But not to me.

It's been so nice to start and end each day with my knitting! I'm working on the Shadow Shawl, which is a free pattern from Fairmount Fibers (the distributor of Manos del Uruguay.) This is a simple pattern using Serena in two colors. It's wonderfully soft and lightweight and will be a year round piece in my wardrobe.

No comments: