Friday, October 16, 2009

Rising from the Flood

I finished a new hat a couple of weeks ago and I loved knitting it. I used Rowan Cocoon for its amazingly soft texture. I love the silvery strands of mohair in the colors. Just my thing for a new fall wardrobe addition! The hat is the Quincy pattern in Jared Flood's (brooklyntweed) new pattern booklet, Made in Brooklyn from Classic Elite. I really like brooklyntweed's designs although I haven't knit as many of them as I'd like. I picked this pattern out because of its unique construction technique to give a hat a new 'twist.' The bottom portion of this hat uses a provisional cast on. It is knit flat with an I-cord edging, and then twisted before you graft (kitchener stitch) the band together. Once you've completed that portion stitches are picked up around the top edgings of the twist to create the hat's crown. It is very comfy and looks great!
Barb made one up for the shop, and one of my friends already made off with my hat. So now I'm going to have to make another one for myself!

No comments: