Friday, July 13, 2012

Falling Water Ruffle Vest

contributed by Barb

We've been selling all colors of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece for some time now, but until recently they'd all been special order. The yarn has done so well that we decided to pick the top 20 colors (for now!) and sell them in the shop as stock colors. 

I had never worked with this yarn before, and I really wanted to try it. I decided to start (and hopefully finish) a vest for this fall.  Unfortunately, I'm at the age where my temperature can spike - without warning! - and so I thought the cotton blend would be ideal. I had just ordered a great new pattern for the shop, iMagine Knit Designs Falling Water Ruffle Vest, and the gauge is perfect for Cotton Fleece.
I love the way this yarn is knitting up!
Lace pattern on back

Front view
My daughter heads off to her first year of college next month and I promised to weave a blanket for her dorm bed.  After knitting with the Cotton Fleece I decided that it's the perfect yarn for this project. It's exactly the weight she wanted, and she loved the feel of it. Here is a very small swatch that I used to test my sett. A "sett" is a gauge swatch for weavers. (We have to swatch too!)

2 comments:

trish rucker said...

what type of loom are you weaving on? I am starting to get ready to make a purchase, not sure how to get there thou. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
trisheyre@netzero.net

Barb said...

Trish,

I am weaving on a Leclerc Nilus II 8 shaft loom. There are quite a few good ones to pick from. One of the best things to do is try to visit a store that sells looms and try them out, especially if they sell more than one brand. If you do not have a store near you maybe you have some friends with looms you can try. Or check to see if you have a local (or state) weaving guild – you can learn a lot just by talking to other weavers. Also, on Ravelry there are some weaving groups and one of the is Loom Reviews. This is actually my second loom, my first was a Leclerc Artisat loom that I still wish I was able to keep along with the new one but I just do not have the space for two looms.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Barb