Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It's a keeper! A 'Beekeeper'!

contributed by Emily

I'm a student, and that means I do a lot of schlepping around campus, and sitting for hours in lecture halls. Recently I was looking for a project that would be fun, portable, and easy enough that I could still pay attention to the professors' lectures.

And boy, did I ever find the perfect pattern! It's an incredibly sweet pattern called the Beekeeper's Quilt, and it is available on Ravelry. Each little hexagon (or hexapuff, as they're being called on Rav) is knit as its own little project, and so each one feels like a finished item! It's also really fun to come home from school and toss my newly finished puffs into their basket and watch the basket slowly fill up over time.
Many people are using up their scraps from sock projects, and lots of people are modifying the pattern to use other weight yarns as well. I started out with the best intentions to only use scraps, but then I realized that I really needed to make this blanket in honey colors. So I snagged a few skeins from the shop and my blanket is well and truly underway!
Yarns I'm using: Pagewood Farms Yukon, Tilli Tomas Artisan Sock, Malabrigo Sock, Baby Ull, Koigu, Rowan Kid Silk Haze (held double), and a bunch of scraps that I already had saved up!

1 comment:

Lindsay B. said...

I'm making a "Beekeepers Quilt" too! I work on the hexipuffs (although mine aren't puffy since I prefer them unstuffed) in between calls at work. You're right, it is really satisfying to come home and dump all the finished puffs in the basket and watch them accumulate! :-)