Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hooked on Fibers at the Rug Show

contributed by Shawn

Last week in the shop, in anticipation of the rug show at the Shelburne Museum, we were busy displaying the last of rug hooking materials in the shop.  I was so enamored of the lovely colors in our supplies that I couldn't wait for Sunday to arrive. I was off on Sunday and planning to go to the show.


I took a trip out to the Round Barn at the Shelburne Museum this past weekend to look at the work of some amazingly talented fiber artists!
image courtesy of shelburnemuseum.org
I was so busy taking in the colors and textures that I did not make notes on the artists while I was there - my apologies!  I was especially impressed by the work in these two pieces.  The colors in the mesa cliffs and the reflection of the heron in the water!

One of the artists based her designs on actual dragonfly specimens.
Another piece caught my eye because the work is taller than I am and the amazing shading created the feeling of a 3 dimensional walk through a corn field.  (Yes, I grew up in the mid-west so this is a nostalgic flat-lander thing.)
 
There were a couple of great primitive and geometric designs that drew my eye too. 
This geometric piece was outlined in a single color and all of the colors were added from leftover scraps from other projects - awesome use of leftovers in my opinion!

I wish I could share every piece with you.  It was a wonderful morning all in all!
If you can, I recommend making a trip yourself to check out the Green 
It's there until 11/20. This is a great way to enjoy a bit of time as there are over 400 hand crafted hooked rugs on display. For those of you who enjoy rug hooking yourselves there is an entire level of vendors too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are amazing! Sorry that I live in the Rocky Mountains and can't make it to the show. The corn one is *very* cool - and you're right, it reminds me of home as well - downstate Illinois inbetween corn and soybeans.