Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wowser Weekend!

contributed by Shawn

Wowser!  That's what I said when we received our shipment of Interweave Knits' special Weekendmagazine for 2011 last week. I can't believe the goodies that are packed into this magazine! Since the shop was busy over the holiday weekend I only just had a chance to glance into the photo index at the end of the magazine briefly when it arrived. I love that there is a photo index at the back to show all of the projects. It's even arranged by month so if you are so inclined and organized all you have to do is sit back and knit one delicious project after another!

There are so many great projects in this magazine that I'll have to break this up into two posts. I grabbed the magazine and have been glued to it ever since. Here are the highlights (in my opinion) so far!

The Gansey Legwarmers by Courtney Kelley take just 3 skeins of Road to China Light yarn.  
Such a luxury but it would be worth it to pair these with the Alice cowl I knit last fall...

Speaking of Cowls, the Mixt Cowl by Cirilia Rose is knit from Berroco's new yarn Boboli.
 This is a great worsted weight yarn that is a lighter version of it's 'cousin' yarn that came out last year, Borealis. Both yarns come in delicious colors!  I can't wait to make one of these 'infinity-type' cowls as a gift.

The color of the Manos Silk Blend in the photo for the Wheat Field Scarflette by Cecily Glowik MacDonald definitely caught my eye!  Topaz is one of my favorite shades so now I might need one of these skinny little scarves that forms a gentle arc of garter stitching along the lace border in this color for myself.  It takes just 2 skeins!

Then there is the positively RADIANT Spoked Cardigan by Carol Feller that uses short row shaping to create a yoke of radiating garter ridges.  Gotta love the colors to choose from in the Noro Kureyon for this too.  (New colors of this yarn should be arriving soon at the shop.)

Last year I knit an amazingly gorgeous Stratum hat from the Fibre Company Terra yarn for a friend's birthday. I think I'll have to match that this year with these Kilronan Mittens by Kate Gagnon Osborn.  I love the tight cabling and know the pattern will keep fingers super warm and cosy using Terra's lovely baby alpaca, wool, and silk fiber blend.
I'll finish my raving in the next post... believe me, this magazine is a keeper.

1 comment:

we7invermont said...

shawn, i'd love it if someone were to offer a class this fall for the
Kilronan Mittens shown here. they're gorgeous... i just don't know if i'd attempt them on my own! anne