Saturday, July 16, 2011

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


The other day Marc and the girls and I were exploring Tampere. We were walking on Kuninkaankatu ( a street!) and I looked up and spotted the most wonderful sight! The fence (the entire length of the street) was lined with gloves and mittens!
My first thought was that I had stumbled upon some knit graffiti, as many were hand knit. But upon closer inspection, I realized that this was not the work of a yarn bomber, but rather the work of many people... kind folks who spotted a lost mitten in the snow, and simply picked it up and put it on the fence so it could be rescued by its original owner. 
I'm sure a lot of mittens have been found here, but I love how the lonely ones remain, in the middle of summer, as a reminder of what is to come.

No comments: