Monday, December 07, 2009

The trouble with Alice

Alice is not a person. It's a project. It's this: And while it should be (and IS) such a completely simple pattern, I managed to screw it up!

This pattern is all stockinette, with some increase rows (k1f&b), decrease rows (k2tog), and switching of needles sizes (5 to 3 and back to 5, and so on, and so on.) You start with a provisional cast on and 70 stitches. You are supposed to end with 70 stitches. Then, easy peasy, 3 needle bind off, and you're done.

Two nights ago I was ready for the 3 needle bindoff. I normally jump right in and do it. I must have had a premonition that something was wrong, because oddly, I actually counted my stitches before working the 3 needle bindoff. Good thing I did that!

Instead of the correct number of stitches, I was 6 short. In this super simple, stockinette, basic easiest ever pattern, I lost 6 stitches somewhere along the way.

So last night, I sat down to find my error. And find it, I did. It was all the way back at the halfway point, on a row where I should have increased in every stitch. Instead of working a k1f&b in each stitch, I worked a few k2tog's at the end of the row. Ooops. It called for a zig, and I worked a zag.

So my nearly completed Alice, became a half completed Alice last night. There was simply no other way around it. Fortunately, the yarn (Fibre Company Road to China Light) is truly divine. So knitting it twice is not half bad!

No comments: