Monday, August 10, 2009

A little birthday knitting

Ten years ago today I was 3 and a half weeks away from my due date with twins. I had a checkup, as my blood pressure had been climbing and they were worried about pre-eclampsia. At my checkup, the doctor came into the room, after running some tests, and very calmly told me that my blood pressure was super high and I needed to check in to the hospital within the next couple of hours so they could induce labor. Marc and I headed home to pack a bag (hadn't even done that yet) and drive 10 minutes to the hospital, not even needing to break the speed limit along the way.

The next 7-10 hours went quickly, and just after 9 that night, I was taken down to the emergency room to join the 22 or so folks who were on hand for this "multiples" birth. Nothing like a small, intimate birth! I think I had 8 or so people tending to me, and then there were at least 6 people on hand for each baby. At 9:37 pm Helen made her entrance, followed at 9:55 pm by Sophie. They were whisked away to the NICU... and the rest is history.

So today is the big double-digit birthday. When I asked them what they wanted to do, they both begged to knit all day! If you think about it, wouldn't that be the greatest gift?!
Right now they are sitting upstairs in Sophie's room in their new bean bag chairs... knitting. They were so excited after last week's knitting camp, that they bought the Charmed Knits book. (We're reading the 7th Harry Potter book together, aloud, and it's Harry Potter talk, all the time, around here these days!) They are each making a beret from the book, with Berroco Vintage Wool, and following the instructions all by themselves, with only a few questions so far.

No comments: