Monday, May 04, 2009

Vintage Baby Knits book signing and trunk show

Don't forget! This Saturday, Kristen Rengren will be at the shop from 12:30-2pm, signing copies of her new book Vintage Baby Knits! She's bringing a trunk show of garments from the book, so you can all ooh and aah over these precious little goodies in person.
The book is incredible. It has more than 40 heirloom patterns from the 1920's to 1950's. They are all gorgeous, but I have a few favorites! I love the Billie Beret - which is knit in Baby Ull. It would be fun to knit a beret for a baby, as opposed to a regular hat... it looks so cute on this little one!
Many of our customers have been knitting wool soakers for their babies. Using cloth diapers with hand-knitted wool soakers is an environmentally friendly solution to diapering! Kristen's book has some really cute patterns for soakers - in fact Shawn in going to make the Milo Soaker out of Malabrigo Worsted. Some people ask why you'd use Malabrigo for a soaker, because it's expensive... Our answer? It's not really that expensive! It's only $12 and it is SO soft. If you don't want to use Malabrigo, use Cascade 220, or better yet, Cascade ECO Wool... 100% wool in all natural colors, with no dyes and no chemicals. You'll have enough for a set of soakers!
Another one of my favorite patterns from the book is the Stella Pixie Hat. It's so sweet! I am going to start this tonight - I chose a skein of Dream in Color Smooshy in Blue Lagoon. That yarn has been screaming out to me for months now, but I just knew it wasn't saying "socks!" or "lace shawl!" Now I know, it was saying... "STELLA!" (It didn't sound anything like Marlon Brando, either!)
And I love the Cleo Kitty Slippers. Wish this pattern would have been around - oh - 10 years ago! Then Helen and Sophie would have each had a pair.
Hope to see you there... I mean here!?

No comments: