Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thanks Stinky!

Last night I finished a project (more on that one later) and so this morning, I sat down and tried to get some inspiration for the next one. Recently I've been a little uninspired. And so first thing in the morning, before my coffee, may not have been the best time to attempt this.

While my coffee brewed I assessed my mood for the morning and chose my coffee mug. This "choosing of the mug" has become a daily ritual for me. My collection of Moomin mugs has started to grow (more on Moomins and Arabia here if you are interested) and each morning it's fun to figure out which Moomin character I relate to the most. 
Top left to right bottom: Mymble, Snufkin, Thingumy & Bob, Moomintroll, Moominmamma, Stinky, Little My & Soapbubles, and Moomin Winter Games 2011
Last night I didn't sleep well, and I awoke several times to a persistent "meowing" coming from the living room. I'm not sure what it was all about, but the headache this morning was the main reason I chose to use the Stinky Mug today.

As the girls ate breakfast, I grabbed a pad of paper and a pencil, and my 5 skeins of Tilli Tomas Artisan yarn. (Do you know that about 90% of the paper here - other than white copy paper - is graph paper? This was frustrating when I was looking for lined paper for the girls, but what a bonus for me when I am trying to design a modular blanket!)
Nothing like yummy yarn cakes and coffee for breakfast!
I asked Helen to borrow her colored pencils and got to work. I'll admit, at first it was kind of like a kindergarten art class and it didn't look too promising. But by the second cup things started looking up. This baby blanket is going to be sweet.

I can't wait to take the girls to their tennis lesson today. Because I can cast on and start testing out this design. Thanks Stinky!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - wow super cool colours - when do we get to see it in progress ? I love deciding on a new project - mine is a poncho in delicious tangarine for a 2 1/2 babe !!

jane

Anonymous said...

Hi - wow super cool colours - when do we get to see it in progress ? I love deciding on a new project - mine is a poncho in delicious tangarine for a 2 1/2 babe !!

jane

Jill said...

Absolutely! And tangerine is so "IN" right now... that 2 1/2 year old babe will be looking good I'm sure!

flutterbyhats said...

I have always colored within graph paper sense I was a young teen many years ago! I use it to design my future quilt designs and now that I am playing with the reversible hat I can't wait to design future grand children's hats for next winter. I love your store and find any excuse to stop in when I am in town.
Cathy G