Thursday, February 23, 2012

Headed to Maine and Packing the Berets

contributed by Shawn 

I'm going to be spending a couple of days visiting folks in Maine.  Since I'll be a house guest for part of my stay I made a couple of gifts for the hosts. Turns out that the snazzy head wear most coveted by these particular Peaks Island residents are berets! 

I hadn't knit a beret style hat before, but armed with an easy free pattern from Plymouth and their lovely Angora yarn I found it wasn't difficult at all.   
For a more manly version, I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca Worsted in black and the same pattern, with a couple of minor adjustments.   
To make the black beret just as cozy as the purple one I turned the hat band inside out, picked up stitches and knit in a liner along the band with the black Plymouth Angora.

I hope these are warm enough for the ferry commute from Peaks Island to Portland!

No comments: