Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Another piece of the puzzle

Back in February we received a request in the shop to offer a class based on Shelly Kang's Sock Yarn Blanket. We liked the idea because of the techniques involved: provisional cast on, double decreases to form a mitered square, picking up stitches, applied i-cord, and more.

In order to work out the details of teaching the class I began knitting a few squares to get the feel for timing and how to break up the different sessions. Before I knew it I had started my own blanket!
It didn't take long for me to decide that this was a perfect way to incorporate many odd skeins of Noro Silk Garden yarn that are left over from various projects. By purchasing a few extra skeins I was well on my way to a beautiful & colorful creation!

Last Friday during the first class session we talked about picking yarn, gauge, square and blanket size, and worked on knitting up the first of many squares. We're working in worsted weight yarn so our squares knit a bit quicker than they would with a sock yarn.
I have to say I love this project because it is like a puzzle. Each time I finish a new square I feel as if I have accomplished the next piece in a finished picture! We'll keep you posted on how our projects come together. And look for another chance to sign up for this class in the fall, when we run it again. All of the skills learned in this class can be applied to many other projects in your knitting future. And this blanket is a great way to incorporate small amounts of many stunning yarns into a finished object that anyone would love.

3 comments:

Jane said...

That's beautiful.

Emily said...

Thanks for inspiring me to get back to my blanket of insanity! I'm now about a third of the way through it (and dreaming of making another one in Noro -- gorgeous colors!).

Deanna said...

I love this idea - the colors are beautiful!!