Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Greetings from 60° 10' N 25° 0 E,Helsinki, Finland

We've been in 4 countries in two days. the US, Canada, Germany and Finland. (Our bags have only been to 3 countries... we're hoping they join us here in Finland shortly. Thinking of all the warm clothing that is not currently with us, is sad!)

Yesterday, after planning my packing very carefully, we hopped in the car and drove up to Montreal
through snow and driving wind. I started one of my knitting projects, and realized I had forgotten the needle for the ribbing. Crap! I was so good - I even did a gauge swatch and had the right needles with me. I just never checked the pattern to see I also needed needles 3 sizes smaller. Duh. All of the rest of my knitting was in the trunk, so that killed the knitting for the day. I am usually really careful with packing my knitting. This time, not so much.

At least Sophie was able to work on hers at the airport.While Helen and I read. It's chilly by those windows.After arriving in Helsinki this afternoon, and realizing we were without luggage, we grabbed our rental car.
We drove around for a couple of hours to get the lay of the land.

Boy does Helsinki have a lot of snow!
It was a pretty gray day, and at this time of year, there is not much daylight, but the snow really lightened things up. It's amazing to see major roads that are snow covered, and sidewalks that are snow packed. They don't use salt over here, and after driving around all day and walking around in it, I say who needs it? This is a winter wonderland. Embrace the weather and figure out how to deal with it. By the way, is this your car?After freshening up at the hotel (nice view!) we headed out for a walk. The above shot was taken at 3:30 pm. Doesn't it seem more like 5 or 6 at least? Of course the FIRST shop was the nearest yarn shop. I had to buy those ribbing needles... and thankfully they had Addi Turbos so I should be all set for the rest of the trip. They had some beautiful yarns and fun little things, and I did buy a really cool tape measure, since I also forgot one of those...

Then we walked around and checked out the shops and beautiful window displays.
This little toy shop was so cute: And Marimekko did NOT disappoint. Fun displays and even more fun stuff inside the store! And then, just before we went back to the hotel, we spotted something to make us feel less far away.
A Ben & Jerry's scoop shop. Helsinki style.(I think they are saying Welcome?)

No comments: