Monday, June 22, 2009

Time for a little reorg?

Don't worry - "reorg" doesn't refer to people here... it refers to "stuff." We are an organized bunch, but even the most organized folks can wake up one day and find that things have somehow gotten a bit out of control! Last week we started a major cleansing - first with all of the closets and then with the shipping room and the classroom. Then we moved to all warehouse areas and finally the shop. We are planning to change the front area of the shop just a bit. Rug hooking supplies will be moved upstairs to the classroom.
Don't worry hookers! Everything is still available, but you will need to ask one of us for assistance, and we'll take you upstairs. (Then you get the table to lay your rugs out on... it's all good!) We just really need more space for the wonderful yarns we have coming in each week. (And samples... I can't forget the samples!)

Because we are changing the front of the shop around, I went shopping for some display things this weekend. I was looking for a folding screen, and couldn't find anything that would work for us. I looked online, but the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for was close to $175, and that was before shipping. And, it wasn't REALLY what I wanted. So I went to Mason Brothers Architectural Salvage, just a stone's throw from the shop - and found some beautiful old shutters. I bought some hinges, and for less than $60, an hour of heavy scrubbing, and 15 minutes of drilling, viola! Just what I wanted, and I saved a lot in doing it myself. Gotta love those DIY projects. Can't wait to hang yarn all over this baby!

I found another great piece for the shop - this old wool winder was on sale for half price! Did they know I was coming? Perfect for the shop, and it still works.
And I got another great cabinet that will be perfect for holding yarn in the front of the shop. That one also took a lot of elbow grease in cleaning it up, but it was so worth it. I love re-using things - makes me feel good.

Late last week we were hit by all the great people who came to the Vermont Quilt Festival at the Champlain Valley Expo. We always forget exactly HOW busy we are when these folks are in town. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday felt like our typical days in November and December. The shop was just mobbed with groups of people. We had so much fun helping them, but we were all a bit droopy at the end of each day!

We had some new Tilli Tomas yarns that they were grabbing right out of the box. They weren't even in our system yet (and still aren't!) so it was a bit of a feeding frenzy. We are getting another shipment from Tilli tomorrow and then I'm locking myself in the classroom and not coming out until these new yarns are online.

No comments: