Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Taking the plunge - with bead knitting!

Over the past several years, I've seen so many beautiful hats, scarves and wristlets that have had beads on (in?) them. I've been so close to trying this "knitting with beads" on my own but it just hasn't happened. I guess I always thought it would be too hard! Or that a trip to the bead store would get me really sidetracked...

We recently started selling two different beaded necklace kits in the shop. The Nelkin kits arrived first and our customers LOVED the Butin Necklace (pictured below). 
This kit comes with everything you need (except size 2 US needles) to make this gorgeous necklace - the yarn, the beads, the clasp, the bead threader and the pattern. It comes in 6 different colors and is quite easy to make.

Another popular Nelkin kit is the Ribband, which is long enough that it can be worn as a necklace or as a multi-looped bracelet. I love the four color options, and I would definitely wear this as a bracelet.
About a month ago we received the Javori Necklace kits. There are three different styles available: the Tiffany:
the Toledo:
and the Verona:

By the time we received the Javori kits, we were having to reorder them and the Nelkin ones so often that I decided I'd better get in on this bead action. I choose with the Tiffany kit in Sapphire. 

On Sunday morning I opened the kit while I was having my coffee. I read through the instructions and was surprised at how easy it sounded. I immediately got started. The only issue I had was that I couldn't see the beads very well, but that's because I was still on my first cup of coffee and my over-40 eyes were not cooperating. 

Once I found my reading glasses, it was all smooth sailing.

It's a quick project, and yes, it's easy! But have I finished? Of course not! I was SO bad and started yet another project Sunday afternoon. But give me a couple of days and I'll show you the finished piece. I'm having so much fun that I'm already trying to figure out what my next beaded project will be!

No comments: