Friday, September 21, 2012

Fun Factor Score - 10 out of 10

A couple of months ago I started a new project for the shop. We had just received our first shipment of Hikoo Simpliworsted yarn in the shop, and a really neat pattern booklet that went with it.

The Building Blocks pattern booklet is great!

It's got patterns for 12 different squares that can be combined to make a small afghan (36" x 48"), a smaller throw (36" x 36") or baby blanket (24" x 36"). Each square is really fun to do, and involves different stitch techniques, so you'll never be bored. 
12 different blocks - mix and match, or make them all!

This portable knitting is great - you won't have a huge blanket on your lap - just a 12" square. And of course, because you're working one square at a time, it seems like it goes faster. (At least it did for me!)

Most people choose one color of the Simpliworsted and make a solid colored afghan, but we shook things up a bit and picked 6 fun colors. The result - a gorgeous color blocked baby blanket!
My first 1 and 1/2 squares
The Simpliworsted yarn was HEAVEN to work with. And I really did love pulling different colors out of the bag when it was time for a new square.
Light at the end of the tunnel: last square!
I scanned a working copy of my pattern and sent it to my Kindle. Those reading glasses did come in handy, as PDFs are not as easy to magnify on the Kindle...

 
And then it was time for blocking - a date with Eucalan in the sink:
After the basin was drained, I gently pressed out the excess water and then rolled the squares up in a clean, dry towel. Note how - even though I followed the pattern exactly, some squares are not the same size. Ah, the MAGIC of blocking!
Squares are blocked to correct measurements.
Looks like I need a few more blocking squares!
And then after a bit of seaming, here it is:
Gorgeous, and FUN.

No comments: