Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mommy & Me

A few customers have been in the shop recently looking for a project to make for their little girls. And when making something for a little girl, it can be fun to also make the same thing for yourself. (You know how they feel special when they look just like Mommy!) We have many ideas, but one that jumps to mind? The Fiber Trends felted ballerina slippers.

This pattern has instructions for all ages, and it's so easy and quick. It uses worsted weight wool, and who doesn't have some of that in the stash?
My kids wore these from age 3-7 as their "inside" shoes. You may not need "inside" shoes where you liv
e, but here in VT, they're just a fact of life. And if you have wood, linoleum or tile floors, and don't appreciate your little one slipping and sliding around the house all day, just head out to your local craft shop and get some fabric paint. Let your child decorate the bottom of the soles - it's a great arts & crafts project.

These little slippers are so sweet. I'm making a mother/daughter set for the shop out of Malabrigo Worsted. This yarn is so amazingly soft and I love the slight color variations I'm getting. I'm not felting until I have all 4 completed, so last night I was able to use the child's pair (unfelted) to keep my own feet warm. They'll felt down in size, but for now, I'm putting them to use!

3 comments:

choo choo knits said...

Malabrigo? On your feet? Um, HEAVEN!!! They look so cozy, I may have to make a matching pair for Ramona and me this year

Joy P. said...

Cute as can be! I may make some down the line when my granddaughter is old enough to notice the Mommy and me look. Malabrigo has always been my favorite yarn for the felted clogs (and bags). So soft and cozy.

Kate Moore said...

These look ssooo comfortable!!! I want some!!!