Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Color Therapy

I think that I’m ready for some sun. The winter blues are getting to me. So I’m indulging in a little color therapy. I’ve been spying great color combinations all over the shop that I just can’t wait to take home.

I know this has everything to do with my current project. I can already tell that I will be making multiple Entrelac Hats since EVERYONE who sees this comments on it, and it isn’t even finished! (Yes, I always end up making more than one of everything because someone who doesn’t knit always makes a special request…more about that some other time.)

Of course it helps that I am, and always have been, a great fan of the colors available in Noro’s Silk Garden. So no surprise really that when I finally had a chance to try out Entrelac (a new technique for me) with the Fourth Grade Hat pattern from Twist Collective I pulled out some Noro Silk Garden for the cause. (My solid is Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed!)Gasp! "Entrelac? I can’t do that!" you say? Don’t worry - it really isn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. It is impressive, all those squares knit in different directions, interlocking together with no seams. Try it and you might love it – I know I do!

I’ll be looking for another project using this technique sometime soon. Maybe the Interlaken Throw in Berroco Book #269 Comfort.

If any of you want to learn this technique, call quickly! You just might be able to snag the last spot in our Learn to Love Entrelac class….

The nice thing about this pattern is that it's a great way to show off almost any stunning yarn that you choose since you can use many different gauges to create the hat. (Love those multiple gauge patterns!) This of course is contributing to my problems about how to combine yarns for the next hat. Or next several hats… I can just see the super soft Loop-d-Loop Moss in Black combined with one of the amazing Twilleys of Stamford Freedom Spirit colors. Or maybe the heart stopping bright color changes of Colinette Cadenza in Jewel with one of the contrasting solids. Then there are all those different colorways of our new Noro yarns - both the Kureyon and the Silk Garden to try and don’t forget the Geode, Jasper, and maybe the River Twist

3 comments:

Jane said...

I could use some color therapy and a hat like that too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just tried entrelac for the first time too. I'm working on Quant from Knitty using Noro Silk Garden. I was a little scared to try entrelac since I'm a fairly new knitter, but I love it!! I will have to look at this hat in Twist. Yours is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I love that hat! I made the Interlaken blanket (using Encore) for my dad for Christmas, in his old university colors (or the Gryffindor colors, depending on who you ask!) and I loved making it. It was really neat to see how the different squares fit together and I went to bed late many nights because I always wanted to "do just one more square"... The best part? Dad loved the blanket too and is planning on using it when the U of Minnesota football team moves to its new outdoor stadium next season.