Friday, November 30, 2007

New wools

Yesterday afternoon I was able to put 21 new rug hooking wools online - all of them are plaids or prints and are beautiful as is... but many of them look amazing overdyed. For those of you who are local, we've just added more wool scraps so you can buy just a small amount of a color, and today I cleaned out the classroom, and made up a lot of little bags of pre-cut wool in assorted colors. They are mostly #8 cuts, but there are a few #6 and #5 in there too. So come on in and pick through it!

Tonight I will finish hooking my Penny Rug Sunflower. I just have a little bit more to do on the one end, and then I am going to rip out a very small amount and re-hook it in white.
The nice thing about rug hooking is that you can change things at any time. This pattern is random, yet it has some order. I'm okay with the randomness, but I am unhappy with how the purple border (marked in the picture below) meets up with the flower petal. So I am going to rip out a couple of inches of the purple, and make it white. Then I'll be more happy about it. I picked Lamb's Pride Bulky in Spice to finish the edges. That's a long process, but there's no way around it.

For my next project I am going to hook one of Helen's drawings. Michele's son drew a family portrait years ago, and she hooked it and has it hanging in her family room. It's really cute!
I mentioned it to Helen and Sophie and they want me to do one too. Helen got right to work on her drawing, and Sophie wasn't too confident with her ability to draw people, so she's going to draw the 2 cats and some background items. It will be a nice collaboration. I will enlarge their drawings, and then I'll most likely use a #5 cut. It's really so easy to draw up your own pattern - it will be fun! Although this is Helen's drawing, and I'm a little worried I won't do such a good job on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill
I love the family portrait.