Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hot and humid

Wow has it been hot up here. I think a lot of people don't realize how hot and humid it can get in Vermont. When it's nice, it's beautiful. But when it's hot, it's pretty unbearable. We have gone from total drought to inches of rain in severe thunderstorms almost every day. The crunching sound of the grass in the backyard has been replaced by buzzing and swarming of mosquitos and black flies. So these days we are trying to stay cool by knitting and hooking in air conditioned places, or directly in front of a nice, strong fan.

We just starting carrying the Tilli Tomas yarns and I can't believe we waited so long! Last week I had a delivery of some new Rock Star colors, and several customers pulled yarns right out of the box, after the UPS driver dropped it off. I hadn't even checked it in, and before I knew it, 5 skeins of Rock Star were gone. And we got in three colors of Mariel's Crystals - that is the Pure & Simple Silk with Swarovski Crystals!!! Barb just finished a gorgeous scarf out of one skein of the Pure & Simple silk... it's a pleated scarf that is easy to knit, and it's totally reversible. I am NOT a fan of stitch patterns on scarves that are not reversible. I just can't stand seeing the wrong side... We just unpacked some great new sock yarn from K1C2 called Soxx Appeal. It's superwash merino wool with a smidge of nylon and 1% elastic. LOVE it. The colors are great - variegateds and solids for mixing and matching on heels and toes. But I am dying to make a baby sweater out of it, and Barb is going to make the Syncopated Cap in the Interweave Knits Summer 2007 issue. Keep your eyes peeled, that will be a class this fall.

We also just unloaded five new colors of Jade Sapphire 2-ply cashmere - solids! We are doing the Fiber Trends Cocoon Lace Wrap out of the Blueblood Red as a shop sample. It is SO gorgeous.

On Friday of last week I took home the checkerboard rug hooking pattern and some new pieces of wool. I am making it for Helen and Sophie for their 8th birthday, which is right around the corner... August 10th. I don't know if I will finish it on time. But I am working really hard on it, so my fingers are crossed! I went out and got wooden discs (1.75" diameter) at Michael's for the checkers. I will be painting them myself... we'll see how that goes. Speaking of painting, they both want their rooms repainted for their birthday. I do love painting walls (not trims) so I'm not too upset about this. But then Helen informed me that in addition to wanting her room painted blue, she also wants life sized palm trees painted on the walls. Sophie, who wants her room painted peach, then decided that she would like several kitty cats painted on her walls. Clearly, these children think I can perform miracles. Does anyone have any life sized stencils I can borrow?

What's that I hear? Oh, that's right. The familiar sound of thunder.

No comments: