Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Birthday Present for Mom

My mom Amy, at 80+, often finds summer air conditioning in restaurants too chilly for comfort. When I asked her to pick out a knitting project for her next birthday present, Mom came into the shop to look for ideas. Koigu was a big draw, as was the Cherry Tree Hill Baby Loop, but when she saw Jill’s Optik Capelet hanging in the window, she knew it would be perfect for a little summer wrap. She picked out the Optik in Cadaquez, a colorway that will compliment her summer wardrobe of mostly blue or tan solids. I've already finished it well ahead of her May birthday. Even though my Mom is small, I knit the larger size to make the capelet fit more like a shawl and give a little extra protection from cool drafts. An extra decrease round at the top brought the neck down to a smaller size. Mom’s tastes have usually run to the tweedy practical look, so I am looking forward to seeing her in something a little glitzy!

No comments: