Friday, January 26, 2007

Freezing Friday

Right now it's 0 degrees, but feels like 12 below with the wind chill. Brrrr. We're nice and warm inside though, and so we'll call it a good day. We had a little lunch celebration earlier - it's Michele's birthday today. We've always enjoyed cake for people's birthdays, but in December we had a little holiday lunch here at the shop, and I realized that everyone who works here likes sushi. So, for Michele's birthday I asked her if she wanted a cake, or a sushi lunch. This is what she chose:

We managed to put away all but about 5 pieces - and those went home to Michele's sons.

This morning we got some new yarn. Twelve beautiful heathered colors of the Shearer's Yarn. This may make it onto the website by today, or Monday at the latest. It was delivered to us by David Hinman, the shearer, himself. This yarn is the real stuff, baby! It reminds me of Candide, but nicer and a bit lighter weight. As David says, "No one knows wool like the shearer who shears the sheep!" David started his own flock of sheep as a boy in New Hampshire, and has been shearing sheep and alpacas throughout the Northeast for more than 40 years. From the sheep he shears and from his own flock of Blue-faced Leicesters, David selects the best wool. Then he has it processed into fine-quality, 100% wool yarn and wool blankets at a mill in Canada.

Our kitchen turned into a dye studio of sorts today. Barb and Michele dyed some wool for rug hooking. The aroma of wet wool filled the building and they had a great time!

They over dyed and spot dyed and came up with some really great pieces. It was a lot of fun and will be great when our Cushing dyes and dye books come next week!
Kalen brought in her mixed fiber rib scarf - it's gorgeous! I wear my new one just about every day and I get stopped right and left when I am wearing it. I went down in the shop to add my colors and Kalen's colors to the website, when our good friend Karen came in (who gave us this scarf idea in the first place!) We all picked out a BUNCH of new color combinations and they are all online. I think I might have to make another one - I like the Black, Burgandy and Stonechat. I already have Vaa, and I made Brown Sugar for the shop. Kalen's is Sealing Wax.
And I'm still making great progress on my rug!




No comments: